We board a budget flight from India to
Bangkok. It strikes me that our flight is full of single men. I take the
time to count passengers – out of about 105 people on the flight,
66 are Indian men traveling alone or in all-male tour groups.
Another dozen or so passengers are foreigners, and the rest of the
passengers are Indian families, couples, and women. Of the men (traveling without women) that dominate the flight, I am especially
struck by a group of 15 middle-aged, middle-class Indian men who
appear to be going to Bangkok on a tour together.
Bangkok is a “destination city”.
That means that it is a destination for human trafficking. Women are
brought from all over Thailand – and indeed, all over the world,
especially southeast Asia, central Asia, eastern Europe, and Africa –
in order to service men in Bangkok’s sex industry. But it could
also be called a “destination city” for men. Sex tourists travel
from all over the world in order to take advantage of these women.
Approximately 60% of men who travel alone to Thailand will end up
participating in the sex industry. It accounts for an estimated 3%
of Thailand's GDP (about the same as what defense spending accounts for in America). I have the feeling that these all-male tour
groups might ramp up those percentages.
......
I board a bus from Chiang Mai to Pha
Yao. Across the aisle from me is a teenage girl, traveling back to
Pha Yao alone. I see a number of other young women interspersed
among the bus seats, also traveling alone. I can’t make
assumptions about their travels – some of them certainly are
students, commuting back from Chiang Mai to visit their families.
But I can’t help remembering that Pha
Yao is famous as a “source city”. In the major cities of
Thailand it is known to both traffickers and the NGOs that combat
them as a major location to get young girls. When my in-laws took a
tour of Thailand, even the tour guide openly told the group of the
city's reputation as the place where beautiful young women are bought
in order to be taken to the sex districts of Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and
other "destination cities". And as I think of that, I can't help but
wonder how many of the young women traveling alone back to Pha Yao
had been away from home for that very reason.
......
I believe that knowledge is a good
thing, and I'm glad I have it, and think I should share it. But
sometimes, as I'm traveling to and from such cities and remembering
such things, knowledge brings a lot of pain. Please pray for the
girls, the johns, the pimps, the madames, the traffickers, their
families and neighbors, and those who are working to help them find
paths to a more fulfilling life.
No comments:
Post a Comment