While two of my friends were talking to
each other, I noticed a monkey sitting in our doorway, chilling. None of us had noticed, but he really didn't look like he was up to any mischief, or anything much at all. That's the third time a monkey has come inside in the last two weeks.
Some people think they're pests, but I'd rather live in a
neighborhood with monkeys than one without.
Three days ago I passed a dead man on
the side of the road. That was the second dead body I've walked by
this week. I'm pretty sure that this one was a homeless man who'd
died after going to sleep on the road. The other one was a train
accident victim. After less than half a year in this country, I've
seen several times more bodies than I'd seen in my entire life to
this point.
We were only in our potential new
neighborhood for about two minutes before a woman invited us inside.
Her 16-year-old daughter made chai while her 17-year-old son told us
he was studying design. Their hospitality was so sweet. The bottom
floor of the small two-room-home was decorated like other Muslim
homes...but when the son showed us his room on top, it had a giant
stitching of Jesus's crucifixion on one wall and of Sai Baba on the
other wall. He told us he had made them himself, and if we gave him
a picture he'd make one of us too. We were profoundly confused.
As we walked through the crowded market
in front of our new neighborhood today, there were people who stood
out from the crowd. A man whose arm ended in stumps sat cross-legged
on a rug. Two boys, each with only one leg, held a blanket between
them as they called out mirroring chants. A small widow with her
face entirely covered lifted up her hands without a word. A blind
man made his way through the crowd as his son led him. A child
called out to passersby from the ground while his brother lay
unresponsive in front of him, a small circle of blood leaking through
the bandages that encircled his head. I don't want them to have to
live this way. The more you learn about their lives, the worse you
feel. But what do you do about it???
On Thursday I took a walk alongside the
river to spend some time in nature. I saw five different species of
frog. I saw more human excrement than most sewer workers see in a
year. I photographed a dozen species of butterfly. I watched kids
who should have been in early elementary school collecting trash to
recycle. I was invited to sit for cups of chai by two different
groups of guys, was fed two samosas, and had more friendly chats than
I can remember.
It's a beautiful place. And if it
doesn't make you want to cry on a daily basis, then you know you're
starting to get numb again.
1 comment:
I love how you have eyes to see both the beautiful and the heart-breaking and the courage to experience both.
I pray life will come both to you and through you, that you'd be mercifully sheltered as needed.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts- I loved reading them.
Post a Comment