I have an
amazing language helper. He is only 19, but he is bright, knows what
I want, is bold enough to correct me when I mess up and to explain
what I'm doing wrong, is extremely patient, fixes not just my
vocabulary but also my grammar, pronunciation, and handwriting,
praises me honestly and warmly when I do something right, is
insistent on staying until the end of our hour each day, and hasn't
canceled a lesson once yet.
But this morning, Mohammed had the
hardest time with one word. We were doing opposites, and were flying
through them. Then we got to "hungry". Mohammed spent two
minutes trying to come up with something that would be the opposite
of “hungry”. He even asked a friend to help him. Finally, they
had an answer. The opposite of "hungry", according to
Mohammed and his friend, is "thirsty".
My language helper is very thin. He
lives with his family in a tiny home with a dirt floor that floods
when it rains. He has been working since the age of 10 so he could
pay his own school fees after his father died. Still, I'm sure that
he's experienced feelings other than hunger before. There has to
have been some time when he was attending someone's wedding, or a
guest at someone's house, or was treated at some festival, where he
got to be "full" instead of "hungry". To say
that he couldn't come up with the opposite of hungry because he had
never experienced it would be a bit implausible.
Yet I believe there is meaning there.
I spent the first 30+ years of my life without EVER being truly
hungry for someone else's sake. In America we spend billions of
dollars a year on diets because we eat too much. Some 25% of us are
obese and just as many more are overweight, and that's even with
eating disorders taking their toll. We try to invent plans that will
allow us to maintain our figures while stuffing our stomachs. Fast
food restaurants sell lunch meals that have twice as many calories as
most third-world slum dwellers get in an entire day.
When I visited India in 2011, I
experienced sacrificial hunger for the first time in my life. I ate
less than I needed because every bite I took meant less food for
someone who needed food a lot more than me. I had already lost
weight earlier, but by the time I left India my weight hit 165
pounds, nearly 50 pounds below what it had been when I had left
America a year earlier. Yet day after day I kept eating less food
than I wanted. Because I could see the consequences.
In America, we don't see. We don't
know people who don't know the opposite of "hungry". The
closest many of us get to solidarity with their situation is using it
to guilt-trip our kids into eating their vegetables. We pretend that
our conspicuous over-consumption doesn't pull food off of their
plates. We tell ourselves that Central American cattle farms
supplying beef for Americans aren't built on the ruins of family farms,
that Brazilian coffee plantations aren't constructed on top of land that poor villagers relied on for their livelihoods, that
commercial fishing vessels supplying our sushi aren't destroying the
livelihoods (and local protein supply) of small-scale fishermen, that
laws passed to pad the pockets of our own wealthiest farmers haven't
made the situation that much more difficult for farmers overseas. We
pass federal laws stating that we will never give any foreign aid
that might lead to competition with our own products, even for
desperately poor countries for whom that product might be their only
available cash crop. We don't ask questions about an economic system
that encourages more, and more, and more consumption; more, and more,
and more growth. We already consume at a rate the rest of the world
will never match, because the sheer land area of the earth could
never support such consumption for everyone else. We keep using our
20-25 acres (the area of land it takes to support an average
American) without realizing that only leaves a small fraction of that on average for everyone else.
We can ignore such things because we
don't have to see them. Because "full" is a much more
familiar word than "hungry". Because we've built borders,
both physical and psychological, that keep the poor far enough away
from our lives and our hearts that we ensure they will never make a
significant impact on our stomachs.
This isn't a guilt trip. I don't want
you to send money to anyone, grasping for that typical guilt-absolver
called "charity". I want you to know that I am BETTER off
for knowing Mohammed, even though he forces me to think differently
about what it means for me to be hungry and what it means for me to
be full.
Get to know the hungry. Learn what it
would mean to love them as much as you actually love yourself (in
deed, not just in word). When you do, every spoonful of food will
become that much more meaningful - both the ones that you still chose
to eat, and the ones that you don't. Their world, even their words,
are different from our own, but they are still our neighbors. And
until we learn to make ourselves a part of their world again, we will
not be able to know what it would mean to love our neighbors.
3 comments:
Post a Comment