Friday, August 24, 2012

Commotion

There's a guy in our community who suffers from mental illness.  He sits near a storefront just a few feet from my friends' room.  When he's not doing well, he yells incoherently and makes motions with his head.  It looks like he's suffering.  At times my friend will sit next to him and try to talk.  He does not communicate back, but it does seem to calm him.  We had never seen anyone else try to communicate with him.  Someone cuts his hair on occasion though, and somehow he gets food.

A couple days ago there was a major festival in our community.  I decided to wander out and get some of the unique Eid food that was being sold.  While I was out among the crowds, I noticed a commotion, and then saw our mentally ill friend get up and run.  A gang of children chased him.  My heart sank.  From what I could tell, the children had crowded around him and were purposely taunting him.  I went after them to try to keep them away and give him a little peace, but he managed to outrun them and the children seemed to disperse.  I went back and got some food.

About the time I finished my food, I head a commotion again.  The man was standing on the top of the divider in the middle of the street, screaming in agony.  Children were once again following and taunting him.  I think some were throwing rocks.  I saw that some older youth were involved, and anger got the better of me.  I ran up to them and raised my voice in Hindi/Urdu.  "What are you doing?"  "Why?"

They stopped, looked confused, and tried to explain to me that the guy was crazy.  That didn't placate me.

"I know!"  "So?'  "Would God be happy with what you're doing right now?"  I continued expressing my upsetness at them, sometimes switching into English when my limited Hindi/Urdu vocabulary failed me.  The youth started to explain that they didn't speak English, to which I responded (in Hindi) that I knew they understood me anyway.  Still, they went off a little ways and brought back a guy I'd never seen before who spoke a little English.  He listened to them explain what they wanted to get across to me.

Then he turned to me, said, "They are illiterate fools," and walked away.

I don't know what to do for our mentally ill friend.  The resources to help him don't appear to exist here (heck, the resources to help people like him in America barely even exist).  The children who are taunting him truly don't know any better.  I should try to spend more time with him, but I'm not sure if that will do much, especially as limited as my language is.  I feel for him, a lot.  And I know that there are many others like him, with far more people around willing to taunt what they don't understand rather than there are people willing to stand by someone they love.

4 comments:

jonathan said...

Odd postscript - as I walked away from that encounter, a large group of the children followed me. They seemed not to know me and spent time asking me about my life and my family. Eventually they invited me over to their homes, and I visited several families' homes that day. The question of our mentally ill friend did not come up at any point.

jonathan said...

Another thought - the story of Steve Lopez and Nathaniel Ayers describes what can happen when someone does care enough to do something, and is in a place that has the resources to help. I highly recommend reading the stories that Lopez wrote about their relationship:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-me-lopez-skidrow-nathaniel-series,0,290300.special

SFH said...

Jon, this is sad and painful to read. Thank you for bearing witness. One thought that hit me was whether spending time with those children might be a way in to this conundrum. I know my first instinct would have been to take a few swings . . .

Kim Mark said...

Thank you for sharing! I could feel your frustration and the despair at not knowing if or how to help.

I appreciate the name of the blog, and that is your purpose! I feel my own purpose and passions reflect the title as well, and I'm glad to connect with people who share the same.

p.s. for the sake of refreshing your memory, we met at a perspectives reunion a few years ago.