Two American guys walked by us on one of our recent outreach nights. They stopped to look at everyone, and then one of them addressed me:
My first thoughts were judgemental. What does he know about this family? We're the ones who come here faithfully and know what their needs are! We know what we're doing better than some random guy walking down the street. If he knew them he'd know that fruit (of which they often get given plenty) will just keep them exposed and vulnerable on the streets one more night, while money will put them one step closer to being able to make the long trip home with enough to live on for a while....
After some period of self-righteousness, I had to stop myself. For one thing, I don't know these answers as concretely as I was telling myself I did. I have already wrestled with the possibility that giving to families who are begging reinforces a dangerous practice that puts the children at risk and offers no long-term stability. Some well-established NGOs advise that tourists not give financially in such circumstances. There are strong potential arguments on the other side as well (giving families the freedom to decide for themselves, keeping our own hearts soft through giving, supporting widows who truly have no other means of sustenance, etc.) but the argument is not nearly as simple as I was making it in my head. And for all I know, this random guy might be a community development expert or social justice advocate, and in a rushed moment he may have condensed a lesson he had learned through years of study and experience.
And how often have I acted or wanted to act exactly as this man was acting? How often have I judged someone serving others, thought I knew a better way of doing it than they did, or offered a fleeting bit of advice that neither spoke to the depth and complexities of the situation nor took into account all that they already knew that I may be ignorant of? How quick I am to judge!
I need to be reminded how much there is that I don't know. I need to stay open to the advice of any who may offer it, not accepting it uncritically but listening for the voice of the Spirit in their words and setting it up alongside all that I have already learned. And I need to place myself in a posture of humility before all who I interact with, for it is only in humility that we learn.
Another lesson on humility. Seems to be a pattern on this trip....
What's going on here?
We're just hanging out with the family.
Do you ever buy them fruit?
Sometimes we do. Tonight though w..[interrupted]
Buy them fruit don't give them money. [walks away while finishing sentence]
My first thoughts were judgemental. What does he know about this family? We're the ones who come here faithfully and know what their needs are! We know what we're doing better than some random guy walking down the street. If he knew them he'd know that fruit (of which they often get given plenty) will just keep them exposed and vulnerable on the streets one more night, while money will put them one step closer to being able to make the long trip home with enough to live on for a while....
After some period of self-righteousness, I had to stop myself. For one thing, I don't know these answers as concretely as I was telling myself I did. I have already wrestled with the possibility that giving to families who are begging reinforces a dangerous practice that puts the children at risk and offers no long-term stability. Some well-established NGOs advise that tourists not give financially in such circumstances. There are strong potential arguments on the other side as well (giving families the freedom to decide for themselves, keeping our own hearts soft through giving, supporting widows who truly have no other means of sustenance, etc.) but the argument is not nearly as simple as I was making it in my head. And for all I know, this random guy might be a community development expert or social justice advocate, and in a rushed moment he may have condensed a lesson he had learned through years of study and experience.
And how often have I acted or wanted to act exactly as this man was acting? How often have I judged someone serving others, thought I knew a better way of doing it than they did, or offered a fleeting bit of advice that neither spoke to the depth and complexities of the situation nor took into account all that they already knew that I may be ignorant of? How quick I am to judge!
I need to be reminded how much there is that I don't know. I need to stay open to the advice of any who may offer it, not accepting it uncritically but listening for the voice of the Spirit in their words and setting it up alongside all that I have already learned. And I need to place myself in a posture of humility before all who I interact with, for it is only in humility that we learn.
Another lesson on humility. Seems to be a pattern on this trip....
1 comment:
God bless you and guide you through His spirit. This issue is one of the biggest internal conflicts I have as a missionary, but have come to fine that it is the Spirit Himself who guides us in all wisdom and truth, because each situation is very unique. God be with you and Rose. We are praying for you!
Post a Comment