Last year we read a wonderful book by Richard Foster called Freedom of Simplicity. I resonated a ton with the book and have recommended it to numerous people. However, both of us have mentioned that we feel we are just in the beginning stages of adopting the lifestyle discussed within the book. I don't think I had begun to feel the depths of the title until I was sitting in the airport last night, my earthly possessions whittled down to what could fit in a backpack and a couple duffel bags, and just feeling free. I'm sure part of the feeling came from the impending trip, and part came from getting to go on this journey together. But the depth of the feeling came from having dropped my responsibilities and material possessions down to only those which fit within the particular service God has led us to. Numerous friends have asked me when I was going to get excited about leaving, and I kept telling them that I was taking things one day at a time. Well, I think the truth was that I couldn't feel the excitement while I was still dealing with the responsibilities I had taken on back in L.A. Now I have only my chosen service to focus on, and I am giddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment